By Parents and Students,
Cambridge Dream - Leadership and University Preparation Summer Program in Girton College, Cambridge University is offering 13-18 year olds a unique opportunity to join an immersive 'Leadership and University Preparation' course at Girton College, one of the 31 colleges of world-renowned Cambridge University.
Applying to university is one of the biggest challenges of any young person's life. With growing international competition, excellent academic results are essential, but they do not on their own guarantee admission. When assessing potential applicants, admissions tutors in top universities are looking for evidence that students can apply their minds and show academic curiosity, not just recall facts. In addition to achieving high grades, it is vital therefore to develop the required thinking and communication skills, as well as to build a strong personal profile and prepare thoroughly for the application process.
The Cambridge Dream summer programme draws on the rich traditions of the best English schools and universities. The aim is to draw out every individual's talents and help them fulfill their potential. By attending, learners will develop the skills, knowledge and experience valued by leading universities all over the world.
> The programme provides:
* Full immersion in the university environment – studying, eating and sleeping in the same college rooms used by full-time students in term time
* Inspirational, interactive lectures and workshops taught by Cambridge lecturers, teachers and industry experts
* An exciting curriculum covering STEM subjects, such as robotics, raspberry pi coding, astronomy, virtual reality, nano-technology, bio-medical science and marine biology, as well as humanities subjects, such as a business challenge, performing Shakespeare and debating global issues
* Integration with British students from local Cambridge schools and students from many other countries
* Personal mentoring and small subject-specific discussion classes ('supervisions') by current Cambridge undergraduates
* Advice about what admissions staff look for in successful applicants and practical help with personal statements, admissions tests and interviews (15-18 year olds), led by a professional careers advisor from a Cambridge Academy
* A certificate of attendance and an externally accredited leadership award from Sports Leaders UK, which can be included in students' personal statements as evidence of extra-curricular enrichment
* A personal report, highlighting each student's achievements, together with suggestions for further improvement
* Confidence, commitment and passion to stand out in the application process.
Course participants are partnered with Cambridge undergraduates who are studying the degree subject which they are thinking of applying for, including Science, Engineering, Maths, Medicine, Economics, Politics, Law, Philosophy, Psychology, English, Social Science, Geography and History. The undergraduates live in the same college as the learners throughout the course. As well as attending supervisions and university preparation classes in their chosen subject, learners will be able to ask the undergraduates any questions about what it is like to apply for or study that subject at university level. Laura Davies, the founder and Director of Cambridge Dream, is herself a Cambridge University alumna and member of Girton College. Laura and her staff will also reside in Girton College throughout the course.
When students are not busy studying, they can enjoy an exciting variety of typical Cambridge activities such as punting on the River Cam, a formal candlelit 'silver service' dinner in the college's Great Hall, a college garden party, an outdoor Shakespeare play, and visits to Cambridge colleges, museums and art galleries, as well as full days in London and Oxford.
Students receive 27 hours of formal tuition and lectures per week. Learners aged 13-14 years are taught separately from learners aged 15-18 years. Sample outline timetables are attached showing the skills and knowledge that students will gain from different elements of the programme.
> 2018 Testimonials
"The Cambridge Dream Programme truly says it's all. It was a Dream come true for us as a family. Our son had the best days of his life. He learnt new concepts and loved the challenges of solving problems. So much that he didn't have the time to call us and was just living, loving, learning, solving, engrossed in walking the path of knowledge." PARENT
"It was wonderful to see my son come home bursting with excitement, desperate to tell me about things he had learned. He is a lot more confident and knowledgeable about applying to university." PARENT
"I was very impressed by the programme. It's a very stimulating enrichment experience. I particularly liked the early focus on students paying attention to their interests and how these tie in to writing personal statements – not as a tick box exercise, but as a genuinely insightful reflection on their personal development and direction in life. Our Principal very much wants 'more of the same next year!" TEACHER
> 2019 Fees and Dates
The all-inclusive fee for 2 weeks is £4200. This covers all the costs of tuition, accommodation, meals, transport and entrances while in the UK, from arrival at London Heathrow airport to departure. Flights, visas, insurance and spending money are not included. The dates for next summer are 7th-20th July or 21st July-3rd August 2019. (Students can choose any one slot depending on their convenience)
> Applications will be considered on a rolling basis, until all the places are filled. A deposit of 20% is required by 20th March 2019 and the deadline for the final balance payment is 15th May 2019.
This is a selective programme with a limited number of places (50 students each 2 weeks). We are looking for talented and hard-working students with good English, who will be committed to meeting the challenges and gaining the most benefit from attending.
If you have any questions > [Cambridge Dream]<https://www.cambridgedream.com/>